1. Leaving Cert Results – Next Steps
Results of the Leaving Certificate 2020 Calculated Grades will issue directly to students through the student portal on Monday 7th September at 9.00am. Results will also issue simultaneously to students’ schools.
Calculated Grades will provide you with a formal record of your work and achievements in second-level school and will be accepted by employers and colleges.
The purpose of the Calculated Grades system is to arrive at the grade that each student would have achieved if the examinations had taken place as normal and that the results are in line with previous years.
Even if you opted to receive Calculated Grades you will still have an opportunity to sit the later Leaving Certificate examinations in one or more subjects. 2020 Leaving Cert exams will begin on November 16th – Learn more here.After Leaving Cert calculated grades are issued the following are important to consider:
- CAO offers and acceptances – All key dates here.
- Money Matters – Grant Applications; Accommodation arrangements etc.
- Other Options – Contingency plans; Repeat Leaving Cert; PLC (Post Leaving Cert Courses); UCAS clearing; Gap year and Study Abroad options.
Several issues can arise – all at the same time, and sometimes with the best will in the world it may be difficult to synchronise and juggle important dates, deadlines, results, appeals, offers, changes of plan and other arrangements, along with regular family commitments.
It can be a stressful time for all concerned, including parents, who more than anything, will want to support their child as they navigate these crucial weeks.
Apart from an anxious wait for exam results, there can be other uncertainties…
- What way will the points go this year?
- Will I secure my college place?
- How will COVID-19 impact on my college experience?
- What will my financial commitments look like for the next few years?
- Will I be moving away from home?
- If so how will I secure the right accommodation?
- If there’s disappointment and a sense of failure, what is the best way to support the young person as they work through these feelings?
This is one of the major life transitions for any family, so a little preparation can help things move along more smoothly.
With these concerns in mind our Leaving Cert – What Next menu items address some of the main concerns that arise at this important time and offer practical information and advice.
Advice from parents that have been through the process:
Be prepared. Be attentive to important dates, deadlines, financial outgoings and processes. Ensure that the atmosphere at home is low-key and upbeat. Be certain that important information comes from a reliable source such as The IGC / NPC HELPLINE 1800 265165.
For more information http://www.CareersPortal.ie