|If you want to understand the basics of careers guidance and how it can work for your child, help is at hand with this concise guide.
Parents play a huge role in the choices children make when they start looking for a career. They influence the level of education or training that their children achieve; the knowledge they have about work and different occupations; the beliefs and attitudes they have to working; and the motivation they have to succeed.
Most of this is learned unconsciously – children and teenagers absorb the attitudes and expectations of them as they grow up. Some of the key influencers are:
- The expectations parents have for their children’s education and career;
- The examples they set for their children;
- The values they show to their family, friends and to society;
- The opportunities they offer their children to learn and develop; and
- The kind of parent-child relationship they develop.
To nourish a healthy and rewarding career for your child, the following factors are worth considering:
- Encourage your children to get the most education possible.
- Strengthen their self-understanding.
- Develop their knowledge about work.
- Teach them decision making skills.
- Value gender equity and cultural diversity.
- Become aware of career resources.
- Help them become skill-oriented. (careers portal)