Careers Ireland

Students' embarking on their career journey – Is Féidir linn

  • January 2015
    M T W T F S S
    « Dec   Feb »
  • Blog Stats

    • 226,409 hits
  • Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 723 other followers

  • Advertisements

Irish & CAO

Posted by Francis O' Toole on January 8, 2015

A number of colleges require students to have passed Irish to enrol. UCD, Maynooth University, UCC and NUI Galway require students to pass English, Irish and a modern European language for many of their courses.

If a student has not studied Irish or a modern European language (if they have a specific learning difficulty) in school, they may apply to be exempt from these requirements. Students must apply by completing and printing relevant forms from and returning them to the NUI offices in Merrion Square, Dublin.

Trinity requires students to pass English and a language other than English. If a student is not taking Irish or any other language as a result of a learning difficulty they may apply to Trinity to be exempted. Forms are available from

University of Limerick has a similar requirement for English and another language, and students can apply for an exemption in writing to the college. Applicants will find more information on the admissions section of the college website.

Dublin City University and institutes of technology require entrants to present with maths and English or Irish, therefore there is no need to apply for exemptions.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s